Peanut butter and jelly time!
I’m so excited for today’s recipe / muffin explosion because my dad told me that it’s one of the best muffins he’s ever tasted. SCORE! My dad has an amazing and sensitive palate, and he’s both my number 1 fan and critique. So to hear something like that from him really shot my joy through the roof.
Anyway, there’s always a time for PB&J. I grew up largely on PB only, cos Mom didn’t really enjoy the sweetness of jam. It was only when I hit my teenage years that I somehow started to discover this holy union of PB & J. I like my PB crunchy and coarse, and the tartness of the jam was what made it a perfect sandwich.
I made this after seeing a ton of variations of PB & J type thingies. Like PB & J cheesecake (omg?!); donuts; brownies; cupcakes; all the random dessert stuff that you can imagine. I’m more of a muffin person than a cupcake person definitely, like how I’m generally more of a savoury person than a sweets person (IKR. Contrary to what I’ve been posing, but trust me.) With the recent wave of Nutella and chocolate spreads, I remain a true fan (addict) of peanut butter, or any other nut butters actually.
This muffin, my friends, is really really good. No kidding. All 18 muffins were demolished in less than 2 days by my family (I’m from a single child family btw. Read: small family). I like food that makes me feel things because that’s how I remember stuff - when emotions are attached to an event, they are burned in my memory bank. This muffin over here tastes of home, my childhood and all my favourite weekend mornings spent with loved ones. And there’s absolutely nothing more enjoyable than those 3 things. (Except eating more food of course).
Peanut Butter & Jelly Muffins with Nutty Streusel
Makes approximately 18 - 20 muffins
Ingredients for Muffin Batter
1 stick (115g) butter - melted
1/2 cup honey
1 to 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1 cup buttermilk
1 cup plain greek yoghurt - full fat
2 large eggs
1 1/2 cup flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
A pinch of salt
1/2 cup smooth/creamy peanut butter - Skippy is my favourite! If not, consider homemade peanut butter (recipe for that coming soon!)
1/2 cup raspberry jam (strawberry jam can also be used)
Ingredients for Streusel
1 1/2 cups rolled oats
1 cup chopped pecans/walnuts
3 tablespoons flour
2 tablespoons brown sugar
1 teaspoon cinnamon powder
6 tablespoons butter - softened and cubed
1. Preheat the oven to 175 degrees C. Line the muffin tins with muffins paper liner.
2. In a large bowl, mix together the butter, honey vanilla extract, buttermilk, yoghurt and eggs until well-combined. Add in the dry ingredients until just incorporated.
3. Fold in the peanut butter and mix it until swirls form - be careful not to mix it too much because you still want the punch of peanut butter in each muffin!
4. Spoon the batter evenly into the muffin tins until almost full. Using the back of a teaspoon (or your thumb), make a small indentation onto the middle of the batter of each muffin and spoon a dollop of jam into each.
5. To make the nutty streusel - combine all the ingredients except the butter and mix together. Add in the cubed butter and use your hands to work the butter into the dry ingredients until clumps start to form.
Delicious oatmeal and chopped nuts below the wonderful butter, brown sugar and cinnamon
6. Sprinkle the streusel onto the top of the muffins, surrounding the dollop of jam.
7. Bake for 20-25 minutes, or until an inserted toothpick into the centre comes out clean. Let cool till warm and serve
That golden streusel at the top is what you're looking for. The taste is to die for, I promise.
PB & J Muffin soldiers!
PS: This goes best with a flat white, in my very “basic bitch” opinion. It can be stored in airtight containers for up to a week - simply pop into the oven for about 1-2 minutes before devouring them!
PPS: Less than 2 weeks before my trip to Taiwan and Japan! Thanks for the recommendations thus far (: Am travelling with my dad and stepmom for this trip and even though I’ve been to both destinations before, I think it’ll still be a whole different experience. CAN’T WAIT TO EAT MY WAY THROUGH. #whatismoderation